About our Pumpkin Patch
HOURS OF OPERATION
September 30, 2023 Grand Opening
10:00 am - 4:00 pm
CLOSED OCTOBER 1 FOR A WEDDING
October 7, 2023 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
October 8, 2023 10:00 am - 4:00 pm
October 14, 2023 10:00 am - 4:00pm
October 15, 2023 10:00 am - 4:00pm
Pumpkins We Grow
We have grown 10 species of pumpkins on over 3 acres of beautiful Saskatchewan farmland. Any pumpkin sold at Cross Iron Acres was grown right in the patch you pick it from! We do not import any pumpkins to resell, making the pumpkins you pick, locally grown with pride!
Polar Bear retains its color after maturity in the field, at market, and in decorative displays. Long, vigorous vines produce fruit typically weighing 30–65 lb, but may exceed 100 lb.
Drum-shaped fruit with heavy, rounded ribs and slate-gray skin. Sweet, thick, orange flesh. Long storage. An attractive squash for fall displays and great eating, too.
Unique for doorstep decorations and painting. Medium-size, flattened, avg. 11–5" diam. x 6–8" tall, slightly ribbed, with smooth white skin. Thick orange flesh suitable for pies. Avg. 10–15 lb
Attractive, smooth-rind, round, avg. 1 1/2–2 1/2 lb. fruit. Bright white color with dark green stems. Has the ability to hold its white color under stress.
Cutest little pumpkins in the whole patch, this mini, 1/2–1 lb., white pumpkin has strong handles and holds its color well.
The sweet flesh can be used for pies, soups, and other gourmet delights. Full vines bear blocky, deeply ribbed fruit averaging 16–24 lb.
Striking, rich orange, avg. 14–18 lb. fruits are thick-walled and blocky round. Robust handle, strong PMR, and a medium vine. Great for Carving!
Early maturing, lightly warted, medium round 9-12 in white pumpkin with large, firmly attached handles. Uniform shape and size and semi-hard shell that keeps color longer.
Prolific vines produce good yields of 12-15 lb/5.4-6.8 kg uniform, flattened round, smooth grey fruit. Outstanding eating quality, good storage ability.
Jack Of All Trades
Semi-bush, very uniform, 15-20 lb/7-9 kg bright orange pumpkin. Shallow rib storage/shipping type, with a large dark green stem. Excellent for carving!
Pumpkin Care Tips
- Store your pumpkin in a cool dry place (10 - 16 degrees C)
- Do not place them directly on a concrete floor - put them on a piece of cardboard or wood
- Wash and thoroughly dry the pumpkins, and then wipe them down with a weak bleach solution to discourage rot. Make the bleach solution by adding 2 tablespoons (20 ml.) of bleach to 1 gallon (4 L.) of water.
- DO NOT LET THEM FREEZE!
- Pumpkins can survive light frosts, but if they freeze they will turn to mush once thawed
- If your pumpkin has a bit of green on it, face the green section towards the sun during the day. Pumpkins will continue to ripen off the vine, so don't worry if its not entirely orange!
Pumpkin Carving Contest Rules/Info
- All pumpkins entered in the pumpkin carving contest must be purchased from Cross Iron Acres (proof of purchase will be required to claim prize)
- Categories are as follows:
- Age 6 and under
- Age 7 - 10
- Age 11 - 14
- Age 14 +
- The 4 category winners will be entered into another online vote for "Best in Contest" Award for an additional prize!
- Cross Iron Acres will decide on 3 pumpkins from each category, and will create a social media post to allow voting to determine the winner
- To submit your entry, please email us a picture of your carved pumpkin with the carvers name and age or tag us on social media in a post with the carvers name and age
- Contest entries will be closed for submission on Oct 30th. 10pm
- Paint/decorations are allowed, but creativity scoring will be awarded for actual carving
- Inappropriate submissions will be disqualified from the contest - keep it classy!
- Prizes for each category will be (1) $25 dollar Visa gift card
- Best in Contest winner will receive an additional (1) $50 dollar Visa gift card
- Category winners will be announced Friday, Nov. 4th
- Best in contest winner will be annouced Monday, Nov. 7th
**By submitting your photo, you agree to have Cross Iron Acres publish your name/picture on social media and or website**